Happy New Year!! I have so many mixed feelings this time of year. Holidays are fun, but so distracting that I feel I have to completely regroup to get back to some sense of normalcy. So I’m slowly getting back on track.
I had an amazing 2015. It was the first year that I really tried to enter some shows and had great results. All of this happened in 2015!!!
- Finalist in the American Woman Artists National Juried 2015 Show at Bonner David Gallery in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Selected as one of 30 artists to participate in the 2015 Piedmont Paint Out in High Point, NC. Received “Artists’ Choice Award”
- Finalist in the Richeson75 Figure and Portrait Show 2015
- 2 Honorable Mentions in the Guild of Charlotte Artists, 2015
- Honorable Mention, “Colton’s Choice” award and “People’s Choice” award in the Matthews Art Guild, 2015 – Matthews Alive Festival
- Finalist and Award of Merit in the 2015 Spring Online Show for the American Women Artists
- Selected for the Carolina’s Got Art Show at the Elder Gallery, June 2015
I love painting people, but up until now I’ve pretty much stuck to portraits. To make a living at that though I need to really market myself as a portrait painter. So that is part of my next step I believe. Also I’d like to take that passion for painting people into some figurative paintings that aren’t so “face specific”. I’m hoping to do that some with my musician paintings. So far I’ve pretty much focused on their faces, except for “Harmonica Mark”. I’m doing studies that are recognizable, but thinking in the bigger paintings that I’ll try to take them to a more abstracted direction. All musings at this point until I make it happen.
Also love the balance of my plein air paintings. So that will be another part of the puzzle. Hoping to do some larger paintings to appeal to some galleries. It seems most are not as interested in the small 8×10 or 11×14’s that we typically do as plein air painters.
The other big nemesis for me is the marketing part. If I had my druthers, I’d just paint. But it’s crucial to get your name out there to reach potential clients and galleries. So that’s probably the biggest piece of the puzzle for me this year. Putting together a plan that helps me accomplish that.
Any ideas, suggestions welcomed!!! Once again Happy New Year to you all! I hope that 2016 is a wonderful one for you and yours!!